Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Ask-a-Dave's-Gardener: Anyone experienced in growing Dianthus from seeds?, 0 by SherylH

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SherylH

Subject: Anyone experienced in growing Dianthus from seeds?

Forum: Ask-a-Dave's-Gardener

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Anyone experienced in growing Dianthus from seeds?
SherylH wrote:
I\'ve grown Dianthus mini-carnations for many years (pics attached) but this is my first time starting them from seeds. I have searched the internet FOREVER over last few weeks and cannot find this answer:
If your seedlings become leggy, (I didn\'t have lights working in the beginning) can they, by chance, be buried up to 1st set of leaves or more like you can with a tomato? We are about to build a new home and I want plenty of established plants by it\'s completion. So I don\'t want to waste my time on these if they\'re toast anyhow. I\'ve got many more seed trays started - with appropriate lighting this time! :-)
As you can see in the close-up shown, they\'re getting top heavy and no way will survive if I can\'t bury the stems a little further for stabilization. All I can find on the net is how you can bury leggy tomatoes and how to prevent leggy seedlings. I already know how to prevent it :-)