Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: What are my light conditions? , 0 by tanyusha2815

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tanyusha2815

Subject: What are my light conditions?

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What are my light conditions?
tanyusha2815 wrote:
Hello,

Our home has a small back garden which is essentially a concrete patio with a garden border around the perimeter. Most parts of the garden get direct sunlight or dappled sunlight for some part of the day. It's hard to say how much exactly, but it seems the sun moves quickly over the garden with most parts being in direct sunlight for only an hour or up to a few hours. The garden borders (I believe) are west facing, south facing, and north facing. I've thought this may constitute part-sun conditions, but some plants that were intended for part-sun grew leggy or kind of loppy - leaning in this and that direction, presumably chasing the sun. Some part-sun plants have done less than ideal, where others, such as snapdragons and iceberg rose, did just fine.

Any idea what type of light conditions this may be? Would this indeed be part sun, or would it be safer to use plants for full shade, despite that the area does get some direct sunlight?

I've attached a couple photos from last summer to show that some sun-flowing plants did do quite well.

Thank you!!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2018 8:22 PM

This message was edited Apr 14, 2018 8:23 PM