Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Canna Seeds?, 0 by Cajun2

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Cajun2

In reply to: Canna Seeds?

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Canna Seeds?
Cajun2 wrote:
I have been collecting seed from my very tall bronze leaf cannas in my backyard this year. I started with ONE plant given to me at a plant swap. Now I have at least a dozen nice plants! I'm really excited about trying to grow some from seed over the winter (right time to plant them, correct?), and happy to hear you don't have to go thru all that fuss, although I might do just a FEW to insure success (and I'll mark them so I can record the results).

As for cannas having or not having seeds.... I had that problem last year with some of mine. I had several nice dwarf bronze leaf cannas that bloomed a gorgeous coral color... never set one seed all of 2003. THIS year, however, I not only had at least 2-1/2 times the plants... they're producing a few seeds... not a LOT, but at least a dozen, I'd say. And I've dropped a few in the bed there, so we'll see how they do in a natural planting method (I guess that's what you'd call it).