Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Lipstick plant soil fuzz, 0 by helloevelina

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright helloevelina

Subject: Lipstick plant soil fuzz

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Lipstick plant soil fuzz
helloevelina wrote:
Hi there! Been lurking for a bit around here, but this is my first post. Excited to connect with other plant fanatics.

Have been having issues with my curly lipstick plant the last few weeks. It was doing well the first few months I had it and then I decided to move it to the corner of my bedroom, hanging from a hook near the window. After about a month I noticed it had started to get really limp and the soil was still damp 3 weeks after watering. Little leaves had started to mush and turn brown. Meanwhile it was popping out a few lipstick blooms, despite seeming a bit ill...which was a bit confusing. Either way, I suspected that it was hanging out in the shadows of the ceiling without enough light. I added a bit more rope so that it could drop a bit lower and get more light from the window, but after a week it didn\'t seem to be improving enough. I ended up moving it back to the kitchen where it had originally been doing pretty well. It\'s about two weeks later now and the started to firm up and the soil seems to be drying a bit faster. There are still some limpy looking vines (see photo of the plant in my hand attached to the thread).

What concerns me now is that I\'m seeing some thready looking fuzz in the soil. I suspected mealy bugs or mold, but this looks pretty different from the pics I\'m seeing of both those ailments. Am really just curious what this is? And how to treat of course. The fuzz seems to be attached to dead foilage, but I wonder if cleaning that out is enough or if the problem is deeper?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Evelina