Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Chipmunks invading my vegetable garden., 0 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Chipmunks invading my vegetable garden.

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Chipmunks invading my vegetable garden.
DonnaMack wrote:
Chipmunks HATE Milorganite. It is, if you can believe it, made from industrial sewage that the EPA has approved. I have been using it for years. Chipmunks hate it because, I think, of the smell.

Sprinkle an small amount of this stuff anywhere you don\'t want them to be, and they will leave any plants alone. I have several chipmunks, and I find them charming. What is not charming is having them dig in your pots or dig up whatever is in the ground (they see disturbed earth and think something is buried there, so that\'s where they USED to dig in my garden.) No more. They just run around.

I know that people have differing attitudes about using cats for pest control, and I respect that, but I would encourage you not to rely on cats. Not long ago, a cat that invades my yard hit under a shrub and stalked and carried off a chipmunk. I tried to stop it, and frankly I was horrified. I found a dead goldfinch the day before, near the same area. I put fencing under my shrubs to stop it from happening again, and chase that particular cat out of my yard. There is another cat that is really cool and comes and sits and watches me garden. He never hunts. I love this guy (see below). And he knows it.

I have two cats. They are indoor only. They can be hurt in encounters with other creatures, and they stalk and kill birds. They are not like my buddy below.