Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: melon question , 0 by HeatherY

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HeatherY

In reply to: melon question

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of melon question
HeatherY wrote:
Here are some melon pics, I am trying to figure out if they are ready to pick.
I have two types, One type is the small 2 - 4 pound type I am sure I planted
in the planter. The trouble is that I got the first one of these from an area where
I have other melon plants spring from compost, I think. All I know is that I did not
plant anything there this spring.

The first two are of the one I picked up off the ground and ate. At first, the smooth skin made me think it was mutated or spoiled.

The next two show the "mottling" I expect to find on supermarket melons, though one is
from the "volunteer plants" area and the other is from the melon planter area.
They are both more oblong than round, which is why I left them both on the vine.

Last one -This one is the from the "volunteer plants" area and creeping up the strawberry planter, which I will now complete after the melons are done, LOL!

There are some little green melons which were flowers about a week ago and I don't know if they will make it in the approx 60 more days left. If I can learn to tell a male blossom from a female blossom I might try hand pollinating just this one delicious fruit - bees seem to get on the job quite late. Needless to say I resolve to start them earlier next year.