Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Loosening the root ball of Cestrum Nocturnum?, 0 by Mashavu

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Mashavu

Subject: Loosening the root ball of Cestrum Nocturnum?

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Loosening the root ball of Cestrum Nocturnum?
Mashavu wrote:
Good morning,

I have a baby Night Blooming Jasmine that I bought in May. It came in a 3 inch pot and I replanted in a 5 inch pot as soon as I received it. It has been growing beautifully, but I noticed that some of the leaves are starting to turn yellow and the growth seems to be stunting. I checked the roots and the plant is already root bound. I will be purchasing a slightly larger pot as soon as the nursery opens this afternoon.

My question is how to treat the root ball. I know that some plants dislike repotting, but I don't know if this is the case with Cestrum Nocturnum. I've read a couple of posts that said to cut four evenly spaced slits along the bottom of the plant to form an "X". I wonder, however, if this will be sufficient in this case. The roots are pretty wound up. With other plants that I've owned, I tended to tease the heck out of the roots so that it is no longer in the shape of the pot in which it was originally grown. Is it safe to do with this plant? Can I gently loosen, tease and cut the roots for this plant or will the shock be too much? Should I leave the side roots alone and limit the loosening to the bottom of the plant? Is it better to just place the plant in it's new home, as is, and simply fill in the existing space with new soil?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you!

This message was edited Aug 16, 2015 11:16 AM

This message was edited Aug 16, 2015 11:17 AM