Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: What's doing well in your corner of the world?, 0 by Pseudo

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pseudo

In reply to: What's doing well in your corner of the world?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What's doing well in your corner of the world?
Pseudo wrote:
"You must tend them more lovingly than I do!"

Yes, I'm sure that's it! I've been known to love plants to death. ;)

Acer limbo is a great description for a number of woody plants I've got here. Sometimes I think it would be easier if they'd just die.

Acer griseum is tried but by many up here, but with minimal success. They're simply not hardy to a true z4 winter. Once it gets below about -22-24F, they suffer mightily. I've tried two, and they both looked so ragged after a few cold winters I pulled them. There's about a 15' Paperbark in the small river town of Afton, MN, but that also took a major hit following the winter of '13-'14. I'm not saying I'll never try it again, but I need to find the right micro-climate to make it worthwhile.

Here's my A. mandschuricum, which was moved along with the Nikko and Three-flower from the old place in 2011. It looks a bit awkward, but has grown about 5' the past couple of years. The trunk was damaged at the nursery and a deer did a number on it the first fall following its move here. BTW, if you ever get to UBC in Vancouver, they've got a stunning Manchurian Maple in their collection.