Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: "bag garden" or "upside down" strawberry tips, 0 by Diana_K

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Diana_K

In reply to: "bag garden" or "upside down" strawberry tips

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of  "bag garden" or "upside down" strawberry tips
Diana_K wrote:
I think making the soaker tubing into a coil at the top is the best. This will apply water to all the top surface, rather than a point source. Best chance for the water to soak through the whole mass.
Once inside, I can see the need for some sort of reservoir, perhaps in the upper 10%, and as wide as the container. This would be of some fabric that will weep slowly over several hours, and might be filled with perlite or other light but solid stuff to hold the chamber open, but might not even need that. How about a plastic dish with tiny holes?
I have not built one of these, though, so if you are following some directions that say otherwise, then ignore my concepts.
I have worked with a strawberry jar and found that regular water just in the top of the container never made it out to the sides, to those pockets that jut out. I had to water it all around, and make sure that each pocket got water. When I watered from the top the water just went straight down through the middle.
Water does not move sideways through soil very well!